Baked Chilean Seabass in Spicy Lemongrass Sauce
1 (6 oz) Chilean Seabass portion
* Lemongrass Chili paste
* Egg custard mixture
1 (8"x8") Banana Leaf, to line fish
(Scald leaf in hot water to soften & pat-dry)
Aluminum foil, to line hold banana leaf
Optional: Flavored rice ie. Lime leaf coconut rice, plain coconut rice
1. Heat oven to 400°F, assemble banana leaf wrap. Line banana leaf with heavy duty aluminum foil. Pour the egg custard mixture onto the center.
2. Scoop cooked rice in over the egg mixture.
3. Last, place marinated Seabass on top. Spoon extra * over the fish.
4. Stick the whole banana leaf wrapped boat like aluminum foiled in the oven & baked it for 10-mins. (Leave the top open, do not need to seal the entire wrap)
* Lemongrass Chili Paste:
6 fresh Holland chilies, remove seeds & clean
(or 1/4 cup red chili powder)
1 medium-sized red/yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 stalks lemongrass, cut
(Only use the bottom end white part)
1 inch Galangal root, peeled & cut
1-2 tsp turmeric powder
5-6 Makrut lime leaf, remove stems
(or 1/2-1 tsp of Makrut lime leaf powder)
Cooking oil, to puree ingredients
2/3-3/4 cup cooking oil, to cook paste
(or enough to fry spice paste so it doesn't stick nor burn in pan)
1/4-1/2 cup coconut milk
1-2 tbsp sugar
1-2 tbsp fish sauce
Salt to taste
1. In a blender, blend ingredients (except coconut milk, lime leaf, sugar & salt) with enough oil to blend into a paste. Remove.
2. Heat pan to high heat & pour in more than enough of cooking oil to fry the blended spice paste.
3. Turn to medium heat first, toss in lime leaf & gently add in blended spice paste.
4. Stir well, continue stir & cook at medium-low heat to low when paste starts to thicken & oil begins to separate. Please add extra cooking oil if need be.
5. Add seasoning ingredients in. (fish sauce & sugar)
5. Cook & stir well. Pour in 1/4 cup coconut milk & simmer. Taste & adjust taste as needed.
6. Continue stirring until sauce is cooked.
*** Please watch the heat temperature to not burn any spice paste as it may turn bitter. Add extra oil if necessary & adjust heat accordingly throughout keeping it low towards the end when paste thickened & cooked.
7. Remove cooked sauce & ready to use.
*Egg Custard Mix:
Please double amount if you prefer extra custard.
1 (XL) egg, whisked
3 tbsp coconut milk
1/2 tsp * Lemongrass chili paste
1 tsp rice flour
In a bowl, mix well all the ingredients & sieve to achieve a smoother & lighter custard. Ready to cook.
By Shirley Lim @hakka.moi